All artwork and text is copyrighted by Paul Lasaine, unless otherwise attributed to the respective copyright owner. It is illegal to publish, print or reproduce any such artwork or text without written permission by the artist or copyright owners.



Welcome to my my Portfolio Page.

This is where you'll find my professional work (and some personal pieces as well).

As always, I'm unable to post my current work, as it's for films that have yet to hit the big screen.

Don't forget to visit my BLOG. There's more of my work there, plus a bunch of other fun stuff.

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Surf's Up - post #1

SURF'S UP

In late '03 I began working on Surf's Up, at Sony. I started off simply doing Vis Dev work, but soon was asked to take on the role of Production Designer. For the next four years, I worked with an amazing team of artists, helping to bring surfing penguins to the big screen. Sadly, the film didn't do as well as we would have liked in the box office. Happy Feet really took the wind out of our sails. Maybe I'm biased, but I still think Surf's Up is one of the best animated films to date (CG or traditional), and I feel bad for the kids who's folks didn't take them to see it...they missed out on a really great film. If you haven't seen it already...what are you waiting for?!?

The next few posts will be the work I did for the film. There's four years worth, so this may take a while.

And check out the article I wrote on the production design of the film for Animation World Network.com.

Shiverpool
These were the first two paintings I did for the film. Both are based on layout sketches by Richie Chavez, one of the best designers in the business (I need to work on him to start his own blog...you'll be blown away!)



7 comments:

Bobby Chiu said...

Hi Paul,
Those igloos are so neat how they glow.
I personally loved the movie! I thought there were so many clever little details to the penguin world.

The Art of Surfs up is wonderful too.

Paul said...

Hi Paul, Amazing work, beautiful design, composition, and execution. Thank you so much for posting these! They are totally inspiring. I agree with Bobby, I too loved 'Surf's Up', and personally I think it blew the socks off of Happy Feet (on many levels, including animation, character design, color design, story, ahh.. the list goes on). Thanks again for blogging and making these images available.

Benjamin Plouffe said...

the rendering on that top one is one of the coolest things ive seen in a long time. Ilike the blurry hazy snow fog horizontals you have there.. REally nice shapes and colours overall. Im impressed!

Marc said...

The glowing igloos are nice! I love the contrast of shapes in the icebergs.

Louis-Philippe said...

Please! DO make him start his own blog. I can't turn away from yours and I'd love to see more of you guys' amazing stuff! ^__^

rewynd said...

I know this is a little late, but I have to comment.

I enjoyed Happy Feet, kinda. And I have to admit, when Surf's Up was first advertised, I thought "Great. ANOTHER penguin movie."

Its a shame the movie didn't do as well as you guys planned.

I was pleasantly surprised with Surf's Up. I enjoyed that movie much, much more than I did Happy Feet.

As an animation student, currently in Visual Development and PreProduction classes, it's a great inspiration to see some of your work here.

Keep it up!! I will keep following your blog.

Anonymous said...

I saw the movie, and I think it was great... it was unfortunate about the timing with Happy Feet, but I think if I had to choose a movie to rewatch I'd rather watch this again.

Looking at your paintings of Cody versus the renderings, I think your Cody pics make him look cuter and more full of life than he appeared in posters, etc. Especially the chicken picture you posted above! AMAZING!


- Brooke