All artwork and text is copyrighted by Paul Lasaine, unless otherwise attributed to the respective copyright owner. It is illegal to publish, print or reproduce any such artwork or text without written permission by the artist or copyright owners.



Welcome to my my Portfolio Page.

This is where you'll find my professional work (and some personal pieces as well).

As always, I'm unable to post my current work, as it's for films that have yet to hit the big screen.

Don't forget to visit my BLOG. There's more of my work there, plus a bunch of other fun stuff.

Monday, November 19, 2007

Surf's Up - post #6

Poster Concept and Video Game Cover

I worked on 35 posters in all for Surf's Up...including all the outdoor billboards, in-theater posters, and web-based ads. I wasn't a huge fan of the posters (they weren't my concepts or layouts, and I worked more as an illustrator on them), so I'm not going to show them here.

What I will show however, is my first concept for the poster. I knew marketing would never go for anything so graphic, but I had to get it out of my system. It still think it would have made a cool t-shirt.

The logo ended up became the official film logo...but with the colors reversed.



This is the cover of the Surf's Up video game, made by Ubisoft. This one is my concept and layout, and I would love to have seen it as the actual movie poster. Oh well.
(Oh, and I can't take credit for the basic rendering of the character; it's mostly CG.)

8 comments:

Alessandra Sorrentino said...

Paul, that first poster is way awesome!! I LOVE it! :D

By the way, lovely to see all your gorgeous color keys for the movie, really really charming images.
Well done man!!! Hope you're well ;)

take care!
Alessandra

AlexTuis said...

Finally you have a website!
I remember all these hours watching your wonderful studies and concepts for the LOTR movies, and I did not found anything on you!
And I was desesperate, really!
Now you are here!
Is there any ways to reach you?
Will you show us past works soon?
You are a too much unknown artist Mr Lasaine!
Wish you the best!
Alex Tuis!
http://a.tuis.free.fr

AlexTuis said...

Sorry, I had a problem! I have just realize that there was a lot of old works here!!!
You are a source of inspiration!

I am doing monsters for some movies, but I had always love matte paintings and landscapes, and you are one of the most interesting artist on this part of the job.

CresceNet said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

SHOo said...

AH! Just bought the art book, and the black and white poster is in! I love it!
Your work is amazing! Thanks a lot for being so talented, and sharing it!

Mark Castanon said...

I have no idea why this movie didnt do so well either!, I LOVED IT!!! Chicken Joe Bro!

Alexis said...

I like your black and white sketch for the poster. BTW, it's actually on the dev T-shirt of the Game that was done by Ubisoft.....

ice caps said...

wow, your work is great sir, the only problem is that i cant find the link "follow this blog"...i will visit your blog every time i have a chance. i really need all the help i can get coz im starting a really small graphics studio where me and my friends can work on our little projects.hope to find that link soon (im a novice at blogging) or ill just have to memorize you name or blog.haha.